Thursday, October 2, 2008

A Birthday to Forget


Okay, so here's my slightly shameful secret: I love birthdays. However having said that, since having my first birthday at Rhodes, I may have to re-consider my opinion. The thing I have learnt, through experience, is to not to let anyone know that it is your birthday then cross your fingers and hope that no-one finds out. Trust me, its safest that way. Well of course I didn’t keep my mouth shut. I told all my friends that my birthday was coming up and that they just had to come and celebrate with me. The night started out tame enough-a couple of people in my room for pre-drinks, a 1.5 litre bottle of wine that I was suppose to be sharing, music and laughter. It was only when I realised that there were 16 people squashed into my tiny room and that I had managed to finish off the bottle of wine, did I realise that this was not going to end well. After more drinks (where did they come from?) and lots more laughter (mostly at my expense) did we make it down to the Rat. Once there I have vague recollections of people buying me more drinks, a dash to the bathroom and sitting on the pavement outside. Apparently there was not enough air in the Rat to suit my drunken liking. At this point my friends decided it was time to take me home (I might have asked to go home-I’m not really sure). They thought it best if I was driven home but I was in a difficult mood and refused to get into the car-I’m not 100% sure how they finally got me in the car but they got me home and put me to bed. I hadn’t even made it to midnight. Needless to say, the next morning was hell. I did not know it was possible to be that hung-over and I’m a Rhodent! Three attempts to get put of bed, two panado and a large bottle of water later did I manage to face my friends. It was a night to be forgotten and next year I’m keeping quiet about my birthday in the hope that it will pass by unnoticed and pain-free. Watch out for your birthday-you may just regret mentioning it.
Party Hard!

Tess

No comments: