Friday, September 26, 2008

If Only Blogs Could Time Travel…


Dear Past-Nev,

I am writing this to you from the future, in the hope of helping you get through first-year more easily (even though that would be a paradox, because then I would have survived first-year with ease, and not had to write this to you!) But, time-travel technicalities aside, I thought you might want to get a few hints and secret tips (the kind that only a version of you from the future would know). So I’ll start with the basics: the most important thing in the whole experience is to (as absolutely cliché as it sounds) keep true to yourself and who you are. Things will happen, people will come and go, situations will arise and stuff will change, but you, my friend from the past, should try and stay as yourself as possible. I’m not saying that you can’t be slightly different, or grow, but just that you should always remember who you really are.

When it comes to lectures, tutorials, assignments, essays and work, take it as it comes. There will always be some form of work due, but don’t let it get to you – just as long as you don’t forget to do it! I know for a fact that you will be able to do really well in your work, just as long as you actually do it. Readings are good, lectures are important, and tutorials are vital – without them I probably wouldn’t be writing you this letter… So, try not to spend too much time watching series and movies from DC+, and you might actually get some results which will surprise you!

You are going to make mistakes – some really big ones, but don’t worry about them, because they are all part of the experience! This is why you should be yourself – half the fun of first-year is finding your own feet, but still staying true to your own identity. I guess the final suggestion I have for you is to seize every single slightest opportunity that comes your way, because I know, that you will regret not taking the chances you get – in all aspects of first-year-ness. Opportunities in all sorts of shapes and sizes – girls, work, jobs, and a whole lot more (telling you too many details would just be a spoiler and ruin all the fun of actually experiencing it!); so take them! Some of them will only come your way once, so don’t let too many slip by you…

Carpe Noctum! - Seize The Night!

Good luck – I know you’re going to enjoy what’s ahead!

Nev

7 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sam said...

Dear Nev,
As a fellow first year I've just read your blog and I can't believe the similarities between my first year advice and yours!

I'm one of those who feel really strongly about, not only coping, but embracing this new independence that comes with being a first year. I realize that the primary reason we all head off to university is to achieve some sort of degree but I'd like to think that there's a maturing process that comes as a 'package'deal! There's only one time in our lives where we get to really grab every opportunity that first year throws at us and take advantage of this stage of our lives. All along the way staying true to ourselves and not being too seriously influenced by those around us.
I really enjoyed reading your blog and I'm so glad that there is someone else that's a liitle relaxed about the academic side of life at Rhodes and loving embracing their inner wild child!
See you at the Rat!
Sam de Villiers

Sarah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sarah said...

Dear Nev,
It’s so great to know that someone else has/is struggling to maintain part of who they are and not get consumed with the craziness of Rhodes life! For a while it’s seemed like I’ve been the only one who has experienced the conflict between changing and staying the same. I guess that it’s easy to feel like you’re alone in this when your average class size is 280 people plus.

Had anyone told me how tempting it is to lose sight of who you are at Rhodes, I may have reconsidered my choice. That is, until I realised that this conflict isn’t limited to where we are or our age; instead its part of growing in life.

So thanks for again reminding me that I’m not alone and this part of growing.

All the best for the rest of the year,
Sarah.
http://talesfromarhodent.blogspot.com

Sparrow said...

Dear Nev,

Going through your post, entertaining for the most part and containing the very essence of what it is to be a first year at Rhodes also emphasising the bi-products on what you need to survive. The main attribute that caught my eye of your blog was the layout and the heading, stating the backbone of this institution, the partying and the never forgetful moment that we all share here. The most prominent factor about your post where I have derived a similarity to mine is about the risk taking, it is the full essence of the moment and empitomises what being young is all about. Making mistakes is a means of going forward in life, so live life to the fullest and take what you get.
Regards,
Warwick Preddy

Lord Harold III said...

Comment on Letter to my Younger Self
By Jason Wade
Word Count 110

Dear Jay,

I want you to open your eyes to another student who has similar advice for their younger self as I had for you.

The blogpost by Mr.Drunk on the blog www.livingsotallytober.blogspot.com talks about how important it is to attend tutorials and lectures and the fact that doing that is all you really need to pass because 51% means you worked to hard. He also stressed that DC is a serious distraction and needs to be dosed.

As is the case of me and Mr. Drunk you need to remember you are not alone with the problems you will experience so don’t be afraid or too proud to ask for help.

Stay chilled,

Older you.

Unknown said...

Enough with the publicity Nev...
it's not worth it especially when i'm TOTALLY SOBER ;)