Friday, September 26, 2008

To my younger, more innocent self

Dear Friend

Well the time has come for you to leave the comfort-bubble known as high school and start with the next phase of your life. A time that is so different from everything that you have known or for that matter anything that you might have expected. One of the main things that you are going to have to deal with is your new-found freedom. This may sound amazing right now and it most cases it is but there are a few down falls when it comes to gaining your independence.

You have been living at home obeying (most of the time) your parent’s rules and now suddenly you are going to be faced with nearly absolute freedom. This freedom is amazing-you can decide when you are going out, with whom and where you are going. One of the best things about Grahamstown is that you don’t have to bother about getting lifts to places; you really can just walk everywhere which makes going out so much easier.

The only downfall to this new independence is Wednesday nights. Yes you know that you have a lecture in first period and its one that you can’t miss but the lure of the Union/rugby/Rat is too great and plus all your friends are going out as well. I’m not discouraging you to go out-I have, and have had to live with the Thursday morning consequences- all I’m saying is: be warned. If you think that your hangover was bad after that one particular 18th then think again because words cannot describe what it feels like to sit in a lecture with a hangover.

You might think that it’s a great idea to see how much tequila you can manage in one night but save that for Friday night when you can sleep in the next day and don’t have to try and concentrate on a lecture the next morning.

I hope that you are excited as I am about you coming here. I can’t wait for you to get here.

See you soon.

Tessa

3 comments:

Teekz25 said...

Hey Tessa

I strongly agree that one should save the partying for the weekend. It has never done me any justice to party during the week; all it has left me with is a terrible hangover and just a lot of incomplete school work. I guess for me it has always been about living each day like it is my last; not really knowing that even though your tomorrow might not be guaranteed it is still going to happen. And what I have learnt from that is to enjoy everyday as it comes, but making sure that I am opening my doors for tomorrow. It all comes with the territory of responsibility and independence in varsity. Partying like a rock star will always be my aim, but not forgetting why I am here will keep playing like an annoying song which one can not avoid.

Three shots
Prof. Vodka
http://phola101.blogspot.com/2008/09/eager-friend.html

Tut group one said...

Dear Blogger,
I totally agree with your blog. It’s crazy how we came here totally oblivious and plunged into this world of just unexplainable craze. its all fun and games but as in my blog I explained how the drunk life took me over completely. i started using alcohol as an excuse for everything. Its a beautiful second chance not actually ending up excluded but it was an eye opener and it was a good way of showing me what I’m really here for. The challenge is really balancing work and managing the crazy life. Once there then there is nothing to worry about.

But when in doubt i will always say, let go of the not important and do the most important. This is a wonderful reminder of what made me stronger. Great blog!

Regard

Rachel C. Chitsungo (Rae)

Rainbow Snake said...

‘Sotally Tober’ captures the epitome of what drunken student life is about. You discuss the change from innocently following the set rules at highschool to gaining this great thing called freedom at varsity and learning the ups and downs to your independence, which myself and I’m sure most first years can relate to. Partying is a large part of student life and you show through experience Wednesday’s are generally not a good idea to get ‘wasted’ if you are planning on attending lectures the next day! This relates to the balance in student life I mentioned- rather go wild on a Friday night because you can sleep off the night before effects. Therefore you can still have a party without missing class.